|I Am Hannah, Hear Me Croak|
|Season 2, Episode 5|
|Air Date||April 27, 2007|
|Guest cast|| Brooke Shields|
|Previous||Get Down, Study-udy-udy|
|Next|| You Gotta Not Fight for Your Right to Party|
"I Am Hannah, Hear Me Croak" is the fifth episode of Season 2. The title is a reference to the Helen Reddy song, "I Am Woman", which includes the lyric "I am woman, hear me roar".
Hannah sings too many encores at her concert, straining her voice. Miley wakes up the day after the concert and finds that her voice is gone. Robby Ray suggests that she not talk for a week, and use a whiteboard to write out what she wants to say. During that week, Oliver and Lilly embarass Miley.
After a week her voice is better, and she's able to sing at her concert that night. During the concert, she sings fine until one point in her song, she starts singing badly--Miley then decides to see a doctor. While she and her dad see a doctor, the doctor informs them that Miley will have to undergo a special throat in order to preserve her career as Hannah Montana. Although the doctor and Miley's dad assure her that the chances of something actually going wrong are extremely slim (as the doctor performing the surgery is one of the best doctors in the country), Miley's still worried. While she is sleeping, Miley has a nightmare that her voice doesn't get better and, with her singing career gone, no one cares about her anymore. She is reduced to the position of a poorly treated servant girl, table, and coat rack, while Jackson has become a rock star called Bucky Kentucky who receives all of Lilly and Oliver's attention.
Miley's late mother (played by Brooke Shields) then appears in the dream and tells her that her friends will be with her no matter what, since they were friends with her long before she even became Hannah Montana. Her friends and brother come back into her dream and reassure her as well, with Jackson even pointing that he's nowhere near as musically talented as she or their dad are, and probably wouldn't succeed in the music world.
- When Miley and Lilly are at the beach Lilly tickles Miley to get her to drop a lollipop from her mouth. In real life, Miley's biggest no-no is tickling her. She revealed this in the Hannah Montana 2-Disc Special Edition Soundtrack.
- At the end of the episode Miley and Brooke Shields sing a snippet of "You and Me Together". The full version can be heard on the Hannah Montana 2: Meet Miley Cyrus.
- The song "Life's What You Make It" is played three times in this episode.
- Goof: When Miley was talking to her dad Jackson was there, but in the next scene he was gone, and in the next scene, he is back.
- Oliver: Wow, a week without talking. You know, that's gotta be tough for a girl. Now guys, we're different. I don't need to talk. I could not talk for a month and it wouldn't bother me at all. But girls? Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, "Hey, Sally, nice capris." "Oh, I love your purse." (reads what Miley wrote on the whiteboard) Oh, now that's just rude.
- Miley: Daddy, there was a one in a million chance that you'd be a rock star and that happened. There was a one in a million chance that I'd be a pop star and that happened. Face it, this family's one in a million central!
- Mr. Corelli: "Four score and seven years ago..." is the beginning to what famous speech? (Oliver slides down in his seat) Keep sliding, Oken, I can still see you! Miley! Make me smiley!
- Lilly: I got this one. (takes Miley's whiteboard) "Bettyburg's address. Oh, you mean Betty Burg's address. Who's Betty Burg? (Miley glares) Well, the only other thing on here is "I-heart-Dex" but I'm not gonna read that with him sitting right there! Oops!
- Lilly: [as she and Miley hug] Oh, it's so good to hear your voice again!
- Miley: [angrily] "I heart Dex"?!
- Lilly: [desperately] The last thing you want to do is overwork it!
- Miley: "Betty Burg's Address"?!
- Oliver: Oh man, did you make her look dumb!
- Miley: "Just plant one on her right now, big boy"?!
- Oliver: Oh, like you weren't thinking it!
- Miley: Daddy, what if something goes wrong with the surgery, and I can't be Hannah Montana anymore?
- Robbie: Well, I guess you'll have to pack your things and get out! (pauses) Darlin', that's not gonna happen.
- Miley: How do you know?
- Robbie: 'Cause there's some things a daddy just knows. Like, I know the sun's gonna come up tomorrow. I know Uncle Earl's never gonna be an underwear model, and I know your voice is gonna be just fine.
- Although it's already been established that Jackson and Miley's mother passed away (and it's implied that she died of a terminal illness) no pictures or videos of her appeared on the show prior to this episode. However, Miley has a picture of her next to her bed.
- Mr. Corelli, who was one of Miley's teachers in season one appears and has moved on to teach at their high school.
Production and critical response
As the last episode of Hannah Montana's Freshman High-Five this episode premiered on Friday of the week. It placed 7 in cable viewing in the United States with 4.07 million viewers and 2.8 million households